International companies halt business with Iran

May 19
  • Print

By Iran Probe Staff

Saturday, 19 May 2018

As the people’s uprising in Iran takes a new momentum with the recent events in the south central city of Kazeroon, the Iranian regime is, simultaneously, receiving strokes from outside the borders. The world has now realized the dangers Iran’s fundamentalist rulers make to world’s peace and security. U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to leave the 2015 nuclear accord with Iran means European countries will be at risk once new sanctions come into effect.

French oil and Energy Company Total said on Wednesday May 16 it could not continue with its projects in Iran. Some other European companies announced they could exit Iran ahead of a re-imposition of sanctions.

A day later Reuters reported form Copenhagen that Shipping group A.P. Moller-Maersk has joined a growing list of companies preparing to stop doing business with Iran. Maersk Chief Executive Soren Skou told Reuters in an interview “I don’t know the exact timing details, but I am certain that we’re also going to shut down in Iran”.

Some other international companies that are going to lower business with Iran include MSC, the world’s second biggest container shipping group after Maersk, The group announced last week it would stop taking new booking for Iran.

Other companies which have warned they would cut business with Iran, following reinstated sanctions, include German insurer Allianz, Siemens and Danish oil product tanker operator Maersk Tankers, previously owned by the Maersk conglomerate.

Iranian people’s uprising that started in January has severely terrified the mullahs ruling the country. This week’s clashes in Kazeroon, with some dead and many injured and merchant’s strikes in Tehran and Kurdistan show the present regime cannot be very certain about its future.

Tagged under
Published in News
Last modified on Saturday, 19 May 2018 12:08

External Links

Two Misguided Reports

  • HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH Report
    HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH Report
    On 18 May 2005, the US based Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) issued a 28-page report (“the HRW Report”) concerning the People's Mojahedin Organisation of Iran (“PMOI / MEK”).  Entitled ‘No Exit: Human Rights Abuses Inside the MKO Camps’, the HRW Report was essentially based on 12 hours of telephone interviews with 12…
  • Courting Disaster, A response to Rand report on People’s Mujahedin Organization of Iran
    Courting Disaster, A response to Rand report on People’s Mujahedin Organization of Iran
    The RAND National Defense Research Institute published in July 2009 the report The Mujahedin-e Khalq: A Policy Conundrum for the Multi-National Force-Iraq, Task Force 134 (Detainee Operations). The report focuses on the circumstances surrounding the detention of the Mujahedin-e Khalq (MeK) at Camp Ashraf and “whether MeK members were taken into custody…