Feds find Iran was behind hack into U.S. dam

Mar 11
  • Print
Iranians hacked into New York dam
Iranians hacked into New York dam

CBS News
Friday, 11 March 2016

NEW YORK -- A probe by the Justice Department has determined that Iran was responsible for a 2013 cyberattack on a dam in the New York City suburbs, and an indictment is expected soon, a U.S. official told The Associated Press Thursday.

The official, who was briefed on the probe, spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing criminal investigation.

In 2013, hackers accessed the control system at the Bowman Avenue Dam, a small structure in Rye Brook, about 20 miles north of New York City, that's used for flood control.

The intrusion allowed the hackers to probe the system, prompting a federal investigation.

The official told the AP that investigators have determined Iran was responsible for the cyberattack and that an indictment is expected to be handed down in the case from the U.S. attorney's office in Manhattan. It wasn't clear whether the indictment would charge specific people within the Iranian government or publicly name Iran as being behind the attack. A formal announcement was expected to be made as soon as mid-April, the official said.

Officials in Rye said in December that they had been alerted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security about unauthorized access to the city's computer system.

At a news briefing Thursday, State Department spokesman Mark Toner declined to specifically comment on the prospects that Iran would be charged in the cyberattack, but said: "I would say broadly that we obviously take all, seriously all such malicious activity in cyberspace. We're going to continue to use all the tools at our disposal to deter, detect, counter, and mitigate that kind of activity."

A spokesman for the Islamic Republic of Iran's Permanent Mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday night.

Tagged under
Published in News

External Links

Two Misguided Reports

  • HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH Report
    HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH Report
    On 18 May 2005, the US based Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) issued a 28-page report (“the HRW Report”) concerning the People's Mojahedin Organisation of Iran (“PMOI / MEK”).  Entitled ‘No Exit: Human Rights Abuses Inside the MKO Camps’, the HRW Report was essentially based on 12 hours of telephone interviews with 12…
  • Courting Disaster, A response to Rand report on People’s Mujahedin Organization of Iran
    Courting Disaster, A response to Rand report on People’s Mujahedin Organization of Iran
    The RAND National Defense Research Institute published in July 2009 the report The Mujahedin-e Khalq: A Policy Conundrum for the Multi-National Force-Iraq, Task Force 134 (Detainee Operations). The report focuses on the circumstances surrounding the detention of the Mujahedin-e Khalq (MeK) at Camp Ashraf and “whether MeK members were taken into custody…